[CQ-Contest] Multi-op Recognition

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 12:52:52 EDT 2001

Once again we visit the worlds of apples and oranges. The attempt to classify, grade and recognize operating achievement is difficult enough without adding multiops to the formula.

Multi Single, Multi two and Multi multi are a breed apart in the attempt at evaluating prowess. Each of the three categories has a distinct strategy. Each has unique requirements from the hardware, station owner and operators. How can we single out one operator in a multi multi when the combined effort, plus the station hardware, environment, logistics and strategy play such an important role in the outcome?
You immediatley have the opportunity to place a fairly competent operator in front of a super station and have that person look like a superstar. Conversely, you can place a superstar at the 160 position of a W6 multiop and never have that person known to the world (kinda like the KP4 syndrome in SS).
Then there's the matter of the SO. How do we recognize that person's contribution to the effort? Did he spend 40 weekends preparing the station and tweaking it to its optimum? Does he furnish meals, beds and all of the radios? Is he a whiz at strategy, walking the floor directing band changes, multiplier moving, etc? Is he a coach and mentor for the up-and-rising stars or merely a provider of opportunity?
All that said, some of my prodigies include K5ZD, K5GN, N5JJ and KN5H. We've all heare them mentioned as fine operators. Has anyone heard of N5AM or W5VQ? Charlie was one of my best 40 meter operators. Clem was our magic ears on 80. We would never have held CQ WW Multi-single records for so many years without them, yet those who gained recognition are K5ZD, K5GA, K5GN and K5LZO. To muddy the waters even further, K5LZO was a great op, but his comedic antics helped our score more than his running JA's on 15.
I'm sure that I am not alone in feeling that there is more to recognizing fine operators than those who are regularly in the spotlight. I'm sure that W3LPL, W3AU, N5AU and others can give us a long list of unsung heroes.

Tom, K5RC

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com