[CQ-Contest] KT34XA Vs C3

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av at contesting.com
Fri Aug 24 21:54:16 EDT 2001

The F12 antenna comparable to the KT34XA in boom length and gain is the
C31XR,  not the C3. If what you have is a choice between a used KT34XA
and a used C3, go with the KT34XA. If you are in a harsh weather
location, go with the C3. If you get the 34, consider getting some or
all of M2's upgrade kit. In any event, give a used 34 a complete going
over before you put it up. A lot to go wrong.

Also search the archives for a thread on a long manufacturing run of an
incorrect 15M capacitor on the KT34XA which dinked it's 15 meter
performance. There was a way to tell whether a given 34 had the problem
or not. Again, M2 can fix you up with the right stuff.

If you are talking about brand new ones, what you get now is a KT36XA
from M2 who bought out the line.  There is a smaller KT34MA. The
prices...

KT36XA 1373  (M2 webpage)
KT34MA 1209          "
C31XR     1299  (Texas Towers)