[CQ-Contest] Dad/W1CW Update

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 22:17:23 EDT 2001

Today was a big day for Dad...and a good one.

Because of the persistent coughing problem Dad having an open heart =
bypass operation is totally out of the question - if he were to go into =
a coughing fit after surgery the resulting traumas could be fatal.  =
Today they did something different which hopefully will improve his =
quality of life...YES, they actually DID something other than observe.

A balloon angioplasty was performed on the 90% plus blocked vessel, it =
is a key one in supplying blood to the heart...according to one of the =
Doctors, the guy doing the operation had to employ "commando tactics" to =
get it done as the vessel was so hard and stiff - the guy himself said =
to me "some of my partners probably would have given up" but he =
persevered...

A stint was NOT able to be inserted - it was just too hardened, however =
the angioplasty is supposed to have opened the vessel up to 70 to 80% =
function which is better than the single digit condition it was in =
before - and much better than the other arteries they scoped out are...

Dad was clear headed after the procedure and in pretty good spirits, I =
am certain he is real glad they finally are actually doing something =
other than drugging and watching him...it has been two weeks since his =
heart attack and he must be bored sh**less being in the hospital that =
long!

The key to realizing how much improved Dad was today for me was that he =
asked my Mom if the nurses had to pass some sort of beauty test as they =
are almost all very attractive women...and...he told me he has one nurse =
who has the finest hair, "I almost don't think it is real"...[he is =
really sweet on her :-)] .  As an impartial observer I must say Dad's =
senses are just fine, like the nurses!

He should be coming home in a day or two...they will make sure the =
opened artery does not collapse and then send him home for recovery...he =
will be getting a new regimen as far as diet...although probably not =
much stricter than Mom's Gestapo diet for Dad's diabetes problem already =
is...problem is now I won't feel like sneaking him my chocolate chip =
cookies under the table any longer!

gave Mom permission to edit his in box - there were over 500 messages in =
it and the are circling the computer bowl now......

My mother and I would like to say thanks to so many of you who have =
supported our family in this time of need...IT DOES HELP!

Dad should be home in time for the Buc's final preseason game...dunno =
what we will do about snacks during the game but I am looking forward to =
watching it with him.

Jim, K4OJ  k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Ellen, W1YL  w1yl at tampabay.rr.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com