[CQ-Contest] AL1500 Problem

JACK w1wef at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 20:05:12 EDT 2001

I'm posting this here because alot of contesters use this amp, and might
be interested in the problem I just resolved. After finding my modem had
been zapped by static discharge while I was away, I also found that my
Ameritron AL1500 was acting strangely. It took 150 ma grid drive to get
1500 w out, and the loading adjustment had little or no affect on grid
current. It was resolved by replacing a shorted 1N4007 diode between
"B-" and ground on the filter board shown on p11 of the manual.

I mentioned what I found to a friend who had purchased a 1500 used
recently, and since he didnt know what was normal, wasn't sure he had a
problem since he could get full output. Sure enough, the diode was
shorted in his also. I then mentioned it to another friend with this
amp, and learned that he has had the same failure in the past. Hope this
will be of value to someone else.    73   JACK

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com