[CQ-Contest] Comments on the 2000 CQ WW CW Results

K1AR at aol.com K1AR at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 11:58:31 EDT 2001

Contesters--

I'd thought I'd take this opportunity to briefly share a personal perspective
on the recently published CQ WW CW results.

As you may know, last year I entered the Single Operator/All Band USA
category. In usual fashion, the competition was intense with the likes of
K5ZD, K1ZZ (NT1N operator), KQ2M, K1DG, W9RE and many other quality ops all
looking for the win. This time, Randy, K5ZD came away with the prize. Randy
and I go way back and enjoy one of contesting's great rivalries. And, while I
may hate to admit it and therefore let my competitive edge down a bit, his
effort in this contest was simply spectacular and deserving of every accolade
he gets (and more) from all of you.

Now those of you who read the fine print in contest reporting may have
noticed that I  actually had the winning claimed score after the contest.
Having said that, there are a group of individuals whom I would never want to
take on in an "accuracy" contest, including the likes of K1ZZ, K1TO, N5TJ,
and of course, K5ZD. After the checking was complete, Randy turned in a <1%
UBN log with mine being roughly 1.8% (as I recall). A single percentage point
doesn't seem like much, but in this case it was enough to identify a clear
winner.

You may think that I would be inclined to jump on the "CQ's penalty system
sucks" bandwagon, but to be honest I'm not a member of that club. The fact
is, the system is extremely fair and was applied in this case (and every
other I'm aware of) without bias AND with extreme accuracy. That's all any
serious competitor wants in contest log checking. With these results, I'm now
even more inclined to strive to join that sub-1% club.

So, congrats to everyone who entered this one. It was a contest to be
remembered. And, Randy, you can bet I'll have a long memory on this one, hi!
AR's more motivated than ever. But until then, FB, OM!

73 John, K1AR

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com