[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] riding the RF gain...

k7qq at juno.com k7qq at juno.com
Tue Dec 4 05:32:12 EST 2001

Quacks
I Use the TS-930 and with the RF gain at full and a band loaded with
strong signals there tends to be some mixing of signals from off freq.
However by reducing the RF GAin control it isn't necessary to change the
Audio leval and the AGC doesn't seem to be affected.  On 40 / 80 and
sometimes  20 I will add Attentuation also.  It really helps on
separating weak CW or SSB signals  just by reducing the RF Gain control.

Rex   AKA  K7QQ

> In recent years, I have learned to use the radio with the AGC turned
> off.  I
> have learned that many old time cw ops have used this technique for
> years.  I
> don't always do it, but find it useful in some types of condx.  If I
> am
> working a weak pileup, I find that it works really well in
> distinguishing one
> signal from another.  Of course, strong stations calling on the freq
> will
> blast your ears; a real problem forcing the need to ride the RF gain
> control.
>
> A trick that Dean, N6BV, told me about is to keep the audio gain as
> low as
> possible.  It helps to differientiate one weak sig from another.  In
> doing
> multi-ops with other operators, I find that they generally run the
> audio gain
> too high, IMHO.  I try to keep the audio cranked down to where the
> sigs are
> barely hearable.
>
> Something that I have come across in the past year that I really
> like is the
> binaural cw feature in the Timewave 599zx.  This is a subtle feature
> that
> tends to put the high tones in the right ear and the low tones in
> the left
> ear.  This gives a depth to the cw signals and in a strange way
> seems to give
> a separation of the tones in the brain.  I can't explain it any
> better than
> that, other than to say that I find it pleasant and a help in the
> pileups.
>
> 73, George
>
> George I. Wagner, K5KG
> 941-312-9450