[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [FCG] riding the RF gain...

Terry L. Zivney 00tlzivney at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:55:51 EST 2001

"Eric Scace" <eric at k3na.org>  says:

  You now have about 100 dB of dynamic range (audio) to play with.  If
you operate with
the AGC off, and the AF gain set so that the band noise at a quiet
frequency is just barely detectable, there is quite a lot of
headroom to play around with before a received signal hits the
non-linear or pain thresholds of the ear.

While there is indeed a lot of headroom, I find in my limited attempts
at listening on a second radio that the two signals need to be of the
same order of loudness, else I have trouble dealing with signals in
both ears.

In particular, it is difficult to "ignore" a LOUD signal on the second
radio while trying to copy a weak response to my cq on the main radio.

What are the relative volumes that experience SO2R ops feel
comfortable with?

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com