[CQ-Contest] CW Optimized Headphones

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Sat Dec 8 08:27:12 EST 2001

I have found that the Kenwood HS-5's have a somewhat limited frequency
response and wish that I had purchased some Icom HP-1 headphones which had
an even more restricted frequency response.  I find these both excellent
improvements over normal, full-range, stereo headphones.

The lack of high frequency response is a good thing as it lessens the burden
on your ears to deal with noise and static.

I also found that a cheap pair of headphones that I got with an infra-red
gizmo were awful for music, but were great for CW & SSB.

The Heil earpieces are much too "hi-fi" for amateur communications and sound
great when playing music.

You'd think that Heil, since he's got the transmit side done so well(with
the HC-4), would put some effort into improving how your receive (hear) as
well.

73,
N5NJ

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com