[CQ-Contest] Post Contest Log Scrubbing

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Tue Dec 11 17:42:38 EST 2001

Wow, just what we need: a new form of spam.  And I
thought all the repeat QSL cards were bad.

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

From: Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x at kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:59:47 -0800
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Post Contest Log Scrubbing

I started my contesting a long time ago.  For me, the logging
software features are still novelties.  For about 3/4 of my
hamming carreer and 15/16ths of my contesting contacts I've
done it all without a computer.  As late as a decade ago I
did the SS without a computer, then I entered every contact
from the paper logs into the computer to perform the dupe
task post-contest.

I still keep paper notes to myself about errors I've made
logging, then fix it on the computer after the contest.  So,
for me, the concept that one could do an accurate job of
logging without a little post-contest fix-up is a little foreign.
During the CQWW CW at the So. Calif. multi-op I was
at, most of the operators left numerous notes in the
computer logs and sent sked messages over the network
to the other bands.  These are things I can't find the right
hotkeys for in the heat of a contest.  Their notes were
things like "He told me I was a dupe, but he's not in our
log".  Which may translate to "someone should delete the
QSO with the earlier erroneous callsign after the contest."

These kinds of things are, in my view, within the spirit
and letter of the rules, Bill's comments notwithstanding.

Of course, the veiled requests Bill appears to be getting
after the contest to add QSOs to his log do seem a bit
out of the box to me...

> I think everyone has their version of what is acceptable post
contest log
> checking practice.  I personally subscribe to the at 00Z the contest
is
> over and the log is turned in (as is) method.  Mostly because going
> through a log after the contest would be a horrible bore.
>
> But a friend of mine gets this email after the CQWW contest from a
very
> well known contester and asks for advice...

> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wanted to confirm that we either did nor did not
> > have a contact in CQWWCW.
> >
> > I show a qso with <callsign> at 2355 on 14 mhz on day 1 of CQWWCW.
> >
> > Can you please either confirm that we did have a qso at that
> > time or that we did not?  If we did not, then I will be glad
> > to remove it from my log.
> >
> > Thanks and 73
> >
> > <name>, <hiscallsign>
---

> I don't know who sent this mail and I'm not going to say who got it.
But,

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com