[CQ-Contest] K4OJ's Problem

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 17 16:28:35 EST 2001

        A couple of comments regarding dupes...

1.  If the station is water-weak, when I get a call that appears to
be a dupe I say "QSO B4" and move on.  Why?  Because after getting a
call sign at the noise margin, the last thing I want to do is to
struggle getting a unique serial number for a QSO that is a dupe.  The
ARRL 10 and WPX make this a standard mode for me...unlike the CQ WW
where you have the exchange if you can copy the call.  Of course then
there are all the guys who can't send code sending ---... (even on
repeats which I usually guess as an "8"...but it could be a "7") and
this inevitably happens when they are weak to boot!

2.  I had a strange thing happen with CT Sunday that I've never seen
before.  While S&P-ing I normally check calls for dupes before calling.
Somehow CT got into a mode where the dupe function was not working!
I worked a couple of guys who insisted I was a dupe and their calls
seemed familiar.  I then did a quick experiment and sure enough CT's
dupe check function (ALT-F9 or ALT-U) was not working.  I reloaded the
program and everything was back to normal.  I have no idea how CT got
into this mode and have never seen it do that before.  I was using
9.61...not the latest version.  Wonder if anyone else has ever seen this?
Respond directly and I may post on CT's Bug Report form...unfortunately
I don't know how I got into that mode!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com