[CQ-Contest] Re: copying weak signals was: K4OJ's problem

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 18 15:19:37 EST 2001

Someone should get the word out to Europeans that J is not a cut number
for 1. A is the correct cut number for 1.  But, many Europeans seem to
be sending J for 1 and I am always afraid it is really a 2 and I missed
a dit.  But, all they will do is repeat J, so I have to eventually guess
that they mean 1.

I guess I understand ops who can't seem to count dots at high speeds,
but it is amazing that there are so many who can't seem to count dashes
at any speed.  Some (again mostly in Europe) even have their computers
and keyers programmed to send their calls with impossible combinations
of dots and dashes that don't add up to real letters or numbers.  After
a few years, you can get so you recognize these guys and know what their
calls really should be.  But, why do they create such problems for
themselves?

73,

John, K4BAI/8P9HT/8P9Z.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com