[CQ-Contest] Re: copying weak signals was: K4OJ's problem

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 18 21:07:18 EST 2001

On 18 Dec 2001 Ron Wetjen wrote:

> K0LUZ wrote:
>
> > Considering the penalties for bad qso's,  you would think it
> > would be important to be accurate instead of just fast.  Cut serial
> > numbers create more doubt than the real thing!
>
> Ahhh ... but there's the problem.
>
> A guy sends AEET
>
> His log says he sent 1550 (but he "really" sent AEET!)
>
> Now, if you actually log what was sent ... AEET ... that would be wrong.
> (Why?  That's what the guy sent, wasn't it?)
>
> Now, instead, one has to "guess" that AEET is supposed to mean 1550 ...
> if you guess wrong, you still get dinged.  (Remember, the other guys log
> shows he sent 1550, but he really sent AEET!)
>
> I think, we should log cut numbers AS SENT ... and what we receive and
> log (as an obvious cut number) does not match the 1550 his log says he
> sent, the guy sending the cut number should lose the QSO.  After all,
> HIS log says he sent 1550 ... my log says he sent AEET ... why is mine
> wrong?
>
> That'll stop the practice in a hurry.
>
> Ron

Ron,
Your's is wrong cuz AEET isn't a number and isn't a recognized
exchange. For all you know, the guy's keying was poor, and AEET was
really AU which is 12.
CW is a form of language. All language is interpreted. You (or your
logging program) needs to provide that interpretation. Taking it to the
extreme, by your theory, if you want to log what is sent, log the dots and
dashes.
By the same token, if someone gives you a non-standard abbreviation
for a state (suppose I sent 599 PE instead of 599 PA) would you log
that? Obviously not, cuz it ain't right.
If you don't like cut numbers, a better way to discourage it is sending "?"
or sending "full nrs pse," just like guys on SSB might request full calls,
not last 2 letters. But, I don't think you are going to stamp out cut
numbers...
GV (73),
Barry
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com