[CQ-Contest] Re: Logging Dupes

Bud Hippisley k2kir at telenet.net
Wed Dec 19 22:23:18 EST 2001

At 04:07 PM 2001-12-19 , W2UP wrote:

>Another few comments on dupes:
>
>Second related item - I've gotten QSLs from guys who duped me,
>and they include both QSOs on same card! Explain that one to
>me...

That's easy --

1.  For a decidedly un-rare W2 -- perhaps its simply that the guys from whom you got these cards pushed the Enter keys on their PC keyboards by rote and out came all the QSL labels, neatly printed with *all* your QSOs on them.

2.  It could come from some DXpeditions having established a "rule" (especially for the "difficult" DXCC bands, notably 6, 10, 80, and 160) over the years that one dupe (so-called "insurance contact") per band is allowed for purposes of making doubly sure that a valid contact was logged on that band.

Back when I had real antennas I was an occasional low-band DXer , an infrequent QSLer, and certainly not an awards chaser, so it didn't matter as much to me, but I can easily remember the more fanatical types making duplicate QSOs with rare states (say, KL7, for a hypothetical example) or countries or counties or grid squares, etc. *specifically* so they could then QSL those contacts.    In other words, if you're going to go to the trouble of making duplicate QSOs, why *wouldn't* you put them all on the QSL card?

(2) may, in fact, explain some of the duplicate QSOs this past weekend.  I, for one, didn't have time to hit the contest hard, but I did spend an hour or two looking for band-countries I need.   (Of course, if I don't submit for the awards, it's not clear what I "need" them for.  My own satisfaction, I guess....)  And I made two dupes.  (Paper and pencil logging without the old Op Aid #6.)

Bud, K2KIR

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com