[CQ-Contest] Any experience contesting with small attic antennas?

Dennis McAlpine dennis.mcalpine at verizon.net
Fri Dec 28 21:49:55 EST 2001

Hi Vic
Welcome to the wonderful, sometimes weird world of contesting.  As others
have said, when in doubt, try it.  It might work better than you think.

I lived in the middle of NYC for over 20 years and managed to work over 300
countries.  I was lucky though because I could run an inverted vee off of
the water tower.  You would be surprised how invisible thin wire can be.
Now I live in Scarsdale and have a Buternut vertical on the back porch and
it does very well for a little antenna.  They  can be hid fairly well also.
One friend of mine, N2UN, has done quite well in NYC by puttting a vertical
out on his patio at night.  I know someone else who did well for years using
a fishing rod and just dropping a line out the window at night.  Antenna
tuners help in all cases.  Bottom line, try it - you might be surprised at
how much it can work.  Go for the 100 watts tho.
GL & 73.
See you in the contests.

Dennis K2SX