[CQ-Contest] Any experience contesting with small attic antennas?

Scott Pederson spederson at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 17:24:41 EST 2001

Hi Vic,

First of all, welcome to Ham radio!  I think Dale is right - try them
and see, that's half the fun!

I have experimented with similar setups:

A couple of years ago I purchased a "Slinky" antenna off of Ebay.  One
day I did a 20m comparison between the slinky and a tuner (required), a
20m dipole in the attic, and a 20m Hamstick magmount stuck to the
minivan in the driveway.

The Slinky and the 20m dipole were very close in terms of performance,
(my AT-180 had a hard time tuning the slinky,) but the hamstick in the
driveway by FAR and away produced much better signal reports from both
DX and stateside from the Houston area.  I used a 2-position antenna
switch to compare the two. The attic was above a two-story brick house,
and there was a lot of A/C duct-work, A/C units, hot water heater, etc.
that was surely interfering somewhat.

Hope this information helps!

Scott - ki5dr