Fwd: [CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Jim Rhodes rhodes at evertek.net
Sat Dec 29 20:00:15 EST 2001

You forgot my favorite.

ROTTEN OPERATING NO 4

The running station types a call wrong. Since he is the one holding the
frequency, he could not possibly make an error. Anyway this seems to be the
opinion of most of the replies to this thread. Well unless someone is out
there using my call in the contest, there is no way that I could be a dupe
in someone's log. S&P operators are not the only people to make errors.

I never have used a cluster in a contest. If a station doesn't ID at least
every few Q's I move on, there are plenty of other stations to work. No
sense in waiting for some alligator station (all mouth, no brain) to ID. If
I call you it is because I do not have you in the log.

On the other hand there is a local that I cringe to see at field day. When
he gets to operate he just tunes up & down a small section of the band and
works about 3 or 4 stations. The same ones over and over again. Works them
tuning up the band and works them tuning down the band. Does his own
logging on paper. One year he kept working those same 3 stations right up
through 28oo hrs according to his log. He won't even try to log on a
computer, so I just throw the paper away. Luckily there aren't too many
like him.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim at rhodesend.net

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com