[CQ-Contest] 160 Antenna for NAQP...

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Sun Dec 30 21:54:35 EST 2001

In a message dated 12/30/2001 7:57:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
djl at andlev.com writes:

Dan, here is my two cents worth, from having worked a lot of 160 with only
trees to work with:

> 1) Inverted V, peak (feedpoint) at 70' on my tower, element tips at 5' or
> so.  Far and away the easiest, just climb the tower and set the feedpoint,
> then tune the elements -> 30-45 minutes .

Marginal performance.  If you do this antenna, it should be oriented N to S
to give you best results for west coast contacts.

> 2) 'Flat top' dipole at 70', with the wire running from NE to SW.  Probably
> costs an additional 30-45 minutes (for a total of 60-90 minutes) because I
> have to get a rope into a tree and take the antenna up and down to tune it.

Your worst performer.  Signals will go straight up.  Not good for DX, and
will probably be difficult to work west coast, or even hear west coast.  My
advice: don't do this one.

> 3) Inverted L with 2 raised (@15') resonant radials.  Vertical portion
> probably 70' high.  Most annoying because I have to figure out how to
> suspend the ends of the radials, tune them, then get a support into a tree,
> and tune the whole antenna.  Plus I have to measure and cut 3 pieces of
> wire, instead of just two.  Probably costs a total of 2-3 hours I'd guess.
>
> Your best option.  I had one in NJ and it worked like a charm.  As I
recall, the L portion was about 126 ft and the four radials were about 88 ft
or so.  Mine went from a base 8 ft. off the ground on a tree trunk, up into
the branches where I threw a line with a sling shot as high as I could go
(probably about 50 or 60 ft off the ground) and then to another tree about
100 ft distant.

The vertical portion was about 50 - 60 high, and the horizontal portion was
the balance of the 126 ft. of wire length.  Being exactly vertical and
exactly horizontal are not critical.  Also, the direction of the horizontal
section is not critical, nor is the direction of the radials.  Use two to 4
radials and attach them to anything that you find to support them, such as
distant trees, shrubs, poles, corner or buildings, cows, deer, xyl, etc.

My radials were about 8 ft. off the ground.  I used electric fence insulators
nailed into trees to hold the radials up and tight and galvanized electric
fence wire for the radials.  You can buy this stuff in a farm or garden store
(Agway).  It is cheap and excellent for this application.

Feed point was at the base of the vertical section and was fed directly with
RG-8 coax with 8 - 10 turns of the coax at the feed point to keep rf off the
feed line.

I did not tune the radials.  I did, however, tune the antenna by adding or
subtracting wire in the vertical portion to get minimum swr.  You can add or
subtract wire in about 3 ft. lengths to bring the antenna into resonance.
Once you get min swr in about the 1820 to 1860 khz range, that is good
enough.  The antenna will be pretty broadbanded.  Your tuner will handle the
rest.

You say that your time is precious. I agree. However, in my opinion, it is
well worth your time to put up the inverted L rather than the inv V or flat
dipole.  Otherwise, your time spent on the band will be wasted.  More time on
the antenna = better results.  Less time on the antenna = worse results.
It's your choice, hi.

Let me know if you have any questions.

73, Geo...

George I. Wagner, K5KG