[CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Frank W8HO W8HO at qsl.net
Mon Dec 31 02:27:47 EST 2001

Hello to all,

Just a brief couple of comments about different habits developing in
contesting, and in CW contesting particularly.  Though I do not have the
pleasure of calling KH6IJ a friend, I have certainly adopted this operating
practice.  I believe, for the same reasons as Jim N8TJ has stated that ur
call is stated at least twice in the QSO is essential if u want to avoid
dupes and improve ur contest scores by decreasing penalties.(I make sure
that the caller states my call correctly, or I state "this is W8HO to
clarify the contact..." then I state my call to indicate I am ready for the
next call.)

While this post was triggered to encourage more frequent call sending
during ur contest exchange, it was also to pose a few questions about "QRQ"
sending.   Tony brought up the term QRQ.  A term we don't often discuss,
but quite often have problems establishing.

My questions are: What do u consider appropriate rates for CW sending?  Are
there different standards for rag chewing and contesting?  Are you sure
that ur contesting rate is appropriate to get the most bang for ur run-time
frequency?  Do u listen to those who ask for u to QRS, or simply ignore
them and continue at ur usual run rate if their request is not sent at very
close to ur usual send rate, waiting for the faster QSO?

Naturally I do not expect (or even want!) individual answers to these
questions.  The principle of the question is the important factor.  As we
all adjust our run freq rates, let's keep in mind that an extra sending of
your call sign and keeping ur rate at a reasonable pace (16-20 wpm,
according to my calculations) may very well improve our contest scores
dramatically.  These are just some thoughts and questions to think over.

We all benefit when we see the contest community grow.  That includes the
CW, digital, and phone modes.  This means we have a huge pool of new hams
who suffered their way through the 5 WPM CW test.  If they can't find a QSO
in a CW contest, they are not going to develop the fever that the rest of
us have for contesting.

Well that is certainly enough from my point of view.  I hope u will give it
some thought.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

73 de Frank W8HO ex WB8ZEV

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com