[CQ-Contest] Sprint QSY Rules

Tree N6TR tree at kkn.net
Wed Feb 7 17:02:08 EST 2001

Interesting thread about QSYing to other bands.

I agree that is okay for the guy who answered the CQer to suggest a
new frequency for a second QSO.  It isn't proper for the CQer to
do so.  After that second QSO is complete - it is anybody's guess
who owns the frequency.  I guess I don't feel that a rule is required
here.  It isn't something that is going to happen that often, and
I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

I have won my share of sprints (on either mode) and I can't say that
QSYing stations to another band has really figured into my strategy.

The case where this is more troublesome is when someone is bouncing
between two frequencies and says something to indicate to the people
on the frequency that he will be right back - or that he is going
up five.  This goes beyond the limits of what the intent of the QSY
rule was.  I think it was about 7 years ago that we made it very
clear that this would not be tolerated.  And yes - we even had
referees listening to make sure it was adhered to.

As K5ZD said - this is pretty much only an issue on SSB.

There are lots of people breaking the rules in the phone sprint, but
the top operators are pretty clean.  If any of them won the contest
without being clean, there would be plenty of people naming names.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net

PS: For more sprint information, check out
http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/sprint.html

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

>From Ward Silver <hwardsil at WOLFENET.com>  Thu Feb  8 15:56:26 2001
 > I agree that is okay for the guy who answered the CQer to suggest a
 > new frequency for a second QSO.  It isn't proper for the CQer to
 > do so.  After that second QSO is complete - it is anybody's guess
 > who owns the frequency.  I guess I don't feel that a rule is required
 > here.  It isn't something that is going to happen that often, and
 > I just don't see it as that big of a deal.
 >
 > 73 Tree N6TR
 > tree at kkn.net

As long as the solicitation is made by alternating stations and the
frequencies on which the QSOs take place are separated by 5 kHz or more, I
don't see a problem.  This often occurs when you run into a local on 75...

1  - Me: CQ
3  - Me: W7DX from N0AX exchange
5  - Me: Roger
6  - we QSY
8  - Me: W7DX exchange QSY to 14280? N0AX
10 - we QSY
11 - Me: W7DX from N0AX exchange

W7DX owns the frequency after line 4 or 12, N0AX owns the frequency after
line 8.  What would NOT be okay is for me to suggest a QSY in line 3 or
for W7DX to suggest the QSY in line 7.  This is definitely not the same
thing as a round-robin QSO where the original CQ-er makes successive QSOs
on the same frequency with one or more intervening QSOs.

All that is needed is for the QSY rule to be amended to state that it is
prohibited to provide information during a QSO or solicitation for a QSO
that indicates the frequency of any *subsequent* QSO or solicitation for a
QSO.  Saying "see ya on 80" is fine because it doesn't tell you where on
80.  This takes care of the "back in a minute" and "up 5" problems without
restricting normal operation or the ability to move around during a QSO to
avoid QRM.

I also don't think we should place undue chastisements on stations
currently using those techniques because the rules are not very clear in
that regard, as evidenced by this thread.

 > As K5ZD said - this is pretty much only an issue on SSB.

Most things are... :-)

73, Ward N0AX

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com