[CQ-Contest] Referees

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Sat Feb 10 04:02:41 EST 2001

f1A93C913438
Sender: owner-cq-contest at contesting.com

For as long as I can remember, the RSGB HF Contests Committee
has organised inspections in our CW field day which takes place
on the first weekend of June.

We aim to inspect at least 10 percent of entrants each year. The
field day rules limit stations to 100w, antenna height to 36ft or
60ft (depending on section), you mustn't use the public electricity
supply or operate from a permanent building, and the station
can only be assembled a maximum of 24 hours before the start.

There are a lot of items here which can be verified by an
inspector. Some of the inspectors are active contesters, others
are RSGB volunteers or club officials. It takes quite a lot of
work to organise these inspections and while we might like
to extend them to other contests, it as never proved practicable.

Note that we do not do this because there is a big problem with
groups cheating in field day - indeed, the only problem I can
recall is a group about fifteen years ago who were suspected
of violating the power limit - but knowing that you might be
inspected removes the temptation to try to 'bend' the rules
a little.

Dave G4BUO

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com