[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX CW Records?

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an at contesting.com
Sun Feb 11 22:43:53 EST 2001

Any links I have been able find to ARRL DX CW records seem to be
broken.  Anyone have a clue where I can find these on the web?

On the ARRL's site I found:

http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/#records

Several other sites list

http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/intldx-rec.html

Which does not exist.

73

bill

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

From: K0HB at qwest.net" <K0HB at qwest.NET (Kay Zero Half Baked)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 04:13:15 -0000
Subject: [CQ-Contest] call sign in contests

On Sunday, February 11, 2001 7:07 PM, Rick Bullon
[SMTP:kc5ajx at hotmail.com] wrote:

 > Hello all
 > I am considering upgrading to extra class just for the extra frequency
 > privileges. I have been told that upgrading would give me a shorter call
 > an thus it would be easier in contests.

Go for it.

First, even if you don't change call signs, you are blocked from
some pretty large blocks of spectrum with your General license.
Many juicy contest multipliers will never move out of the "Extra"
and "Advanced" band segments.

You currently qualify for a shorter callsign, even without upgrading.
You can apply for any vacant 1x3 call under the "vanity" program right
now, and there are many available.  For contesting, think carefully
about the call you request.  You want a call which will stand out of
the noise using STANDARD phonetics.  Whatever you do, don't go for
some "cute" phonetics.  What sounds "ear catching" to you will be
pure gibberish to non-English native-language hams.  Letters with
bold sounds like MIKE, ZULU, XRAY, ROMEO, HOTEL, KILO, LIMA, TANGO are
good choices for phone.  For CW contests and DXing, avoid calls with
lots of dits.  T and M are great CW letters.  Letters with "soft"
phonetics tend to get buried in the babble.  FOXTROT and OSCAR and
BRAVO, for example, all pretty much sound the same when weak in crowded
contest bands.  The fewer sylables, the better (never choose NOVEMBER!).
"Repeating" letters in the suffix are good.  Is K4TTT or W4TTT available?
Try not to get a "N" 1x3 (NOVEMBER takes too long to say).

Under current rules you can only have one call sign, so you can't
keep your current call and get a second shorter one for contests.

If you upgrade to Extra, there still are some scattered 1x2 and
quite a few 2x1 available, but don't choose a bad one, over a better
1x3.

In most cases, I'd stay away from a 2x2.  A 1x3 is the same
length, and usually much easier to make it understood.

Good luck,

73, de Hans K0HB

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com