[CQ-Contest] RE: Click, click, click...

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sun Feb 25 18:37:56 EST 2001

 > I must be blessed.  I'm not hearing the alleged awful signals unless I'm
 >
 > within a couple of KHz.. The DSP seems to be causing the click as I go
 > to bypass and the click goes away.  The AGC pumps pretty badly at times
 > but once again only when I'm operating close to a strong station.
 >
 > The ringing of the synthesizer is another interesting aspect.  In the
 > cellular industry we have used the ringing to "fingerprint" mobile
 > phones and eliminate fraud caused by cloning.

Hmmm...'pumps pretty badly'....

I wonder how many people ride their RF gain?

I usually run along with my RF gain backed down to about 2:30 or 3:00
o'clock position (5:00 o'clock being max).  It's a lot less noisy, lot less
'thumpy' and I still can hear the really weak ones as I try to will them to
hear my QRP signal.

Would backing off on the RF gain help with the clicks that are being
discussed at length?

73,
dale, kg5u

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com