[CQ-Contest] Tip - Weak Signal Detection

Dan Weisenburger kw4t at state.net
Mon Feb 26 10:50:01 EST 2001

<020f01c09faa$77668cc0$0100a8c0 at gemini>
Sender: owner-cq-contest at contesting.com

Thanks for the responses.  Well, your right, the noise floor is the
noise floor.  The rig is a Kenwood TS -690 and the CW filter is  400 HZ
in both IF's.  There is a "hissing noise that I can hear with the filter
switched in that goes away.  I've noticed the same thing on my TS-940
and also my old Heath SS-9000 (an amazing CW rig when it works).  The
wider filter permits me to hear stuff that I don't hear with the
narrower positions selected.  It is possible that your mileage may
vary.  Tom, W8JI, probably says it beast when he says that the receiver
is not performing properly.  I can't afford mil-spec stuff as most "Joe
hams" so I just discovered that it seems to make the difference,
provided the other station hears me too.

This method is not worth a hoot if the band is open.

73,  Dan,  KW4T

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com