[CQ-Contest] Single op ASSISTED by the Internet

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 19:17:57 EST 2001

In a message dated 2/27/2001 6:32:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
k4oj at tampabay.rr.com writes:

 > I use packet in multi-op operations, and it is an invaluable tool...I have
 >  used the internet during a contest as well to track bad weather (I do live
 >  in FL!), but it never would occur to me to do any of this sort of thing if
 >  were a single op entrant and I do not know if I am just a damned old fart
 >  but how this could be seen as being okay in single op is beyond my ability
 >  to view the stretched envelope.

Would it have been OK to watch The Weather Channel on TV to keep track of an
approaching t-storm? Or if  it was from an over-the-air broadcast TV station?
  Is it any different to watch it on Weather.com or a NOAA web site?  Shall we
have another single op class to separate people with windows in the shack vs.
people who operate in the basement?  Would it be worth extra points if your
shack is in the southwest corner of your basement?

Count me with those who never thought real time WWV reports were good for
much other than a sanity check when the conditions seem crummier than
expected.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com