[CQ-Contest] Higher VS Lower

Barry Kirkwood bjk at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jan 12 16:42:49 EST 2001

On elevated locations:
I do not have terrain analysing software, but I think these points are
valid:
(1) There have been extremely successful stations operating from elevated
locations. (eg. ZL2QH)
(2)  In any situation, foreground is important. Generally the first priority
is to get the radiator in the clear and away from other objects.
(3) There is opinion held by many that vertical radiators may not perform
well from elevated sites. I would certainly try a horizontally polarised
antenna at the site before judging the site bad.
(4) My own qth is at 90m overlooking the sea. My subjective impression is
that the site advantage may be as much as 10-20dB over my former qth at a
town house on a moderately elevated site in the central city.
(5) There may be little advantage in having a horizontal antenna on a tall
mast on top of a hill, especially for the higher bands.
I am sure there are others on this reflector with better knowledge of these
matters than me, and I would be interested to hear from them.
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill