[CQ-Contest] Huntsville Hamfest

Paul E. Knupke, Jr. pk at ij.net
Fri Jul 6 22:03:25 EDT 2001

Are there any contesting type of gathering during the Huntsville
Hamfest?  (lunch, dinner etc.)

I will be attending with a few friends and thought it might be fun to
meet any of the contests who attend.

73
Paul

Paul E. Knupke, Jr. - pk at ij.net
Largo, FL
-------------------------------------
Amateur Radio callsign: N4PK
-------------------------------------
ARRL West Central Florida Section
Assistant Section Manager & Webmaster
http://www.wcfarrl.org
-------------------------------------

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

From: Ben Coleman" <oloryn at benshome.net (Ben Coleman)
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 00:26:32 -0500
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Mode 516 Suggestions

On Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:58:10 -0400, k8cc wrote:

>I would consider recommending a USB interface once the operating system
>support for it from Microsoft is flawless and bug free.

Not to mention Linux USB support (not all of us using PC hardware are
POBs).

>I think that the charge that the modern computers are abandoning RS-232
>applies only to the consumer models sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio
>Shack, etc.  Go to any computer swap (or the Dayton Fleamarket!) and its
>been my experience that there is no problem finding a motherboard with at
>least one COM port.  Last year I replaced all the motherboards in my shack
>computers - the motherboards all had two COM ports.  Heck - they even had
>FOUR ISA SLOTS!

Agreed.  And given that ham shacks are probably more likely to have
self-assembled or older PCs than current consumer models (any comments
on this?  I don't think typical ham computer usage really requires a
fast processor - older machines do just fine.  And while we have our
share of 'appliance' computer users, the technical bent of ham radio
should mean that overall, hams are going to be more likely to have (or
gain) the skills to build their own, or adapt older machines),
abandoning serial ports at this point may be a bit premature.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively
http://oloryn.home.mindspring.com/   | micromanage equality results, at