[CQ-Contest] Kudos to CQ WW for Busting Packet Cheaters!

David Robbins k1ttt at berkshire.net
Sun Jul 22 16:28:24 EDT 2001

i just thought of another good one.  what would the committee do if a guest
operator at my station using his own callsign worked everything that wasn't a
dupe that was spotted by k1ttt-6 within a minute or two???  and the coincidence
rate of other spots was around the normal so2r level.

how could this happen?  well, my login script for the instance of wintelnetx
that feeds spots to the ct ethernet in the shack automatically logs in to the
node as k1ttt-6.  the operator is a real s/o but wants to help out the yccc so
sets up ct to be able to send spots but not receive them.  so every time he
dials up the band and works a new qso he does alt-f3 to send it as a spot....
but the spots come out as k1ttt-6 on the spotting network and go into his log at
about the same time +/- node and ct clock errors which could be a couple minutes
either way.  just now i see a spot going though the network that is a full 5
minutes in the future!  now if it was an exact 1:1 correlation that would be
interesting enough, but this operator uses my advice and when he types in a call
and it comes up a dupe, he doesn't just wipe it he alt-f3 and sends it.... so
now it may appear that he is only grabbing the spots that are new qso's or mults
that k1ttt-6 is spotting.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com