[CQ-Contest] Kudos to CQ WW for Busting Packet Cheaters!

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Mon Jul 23 13:48:22 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 July 2001, andrew wrote:

> In message <200107230033.f6N0XMc01370 at chmls20.mediaone.net>, Jim Reisert
> AD1C <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu> writes

> >>No, because someone else in the pile (who is using packet) could
> >>send the broken call as part of an exchange.
> >

> >Doubtful.  I get into LOTS of packet pileups running M/M from KC1XX and
> >I don't think I've EVER heard someone give the DX station's callsign as
> >part of the exchange!
> >
> >73 - Jim AD1C
>
> Jim,
>
> When operating from GI0KOW in the CQWW CW tests, I've heard this quite a
> bit.  The guy will send an exchange something like 'GI0KOW 5NN5 BK'.
> When running high rate, it is irritating and I feel like shouting out
> loud 'I KNOW MY $%&*@% CALL'.  But then I think that he could be doing
> it for the reason that somebody else is operating quite close to me and
> he is just confirming who he is actually working.

I've needed to do this from time to time.  While S&Ping I'd come across two stations sitting virtually on top of each other - sometimes I'd get answered by both at once - it was ABSOLUTELY necessary to send the other guy's call.

I don't recall it being necessary on packet pileups.  They are usually too broad for anyone else to be nearby - at least for long.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com