[CQ-Contest] Profanity during NAQP-RTTY

Pat Rundall rundall at address.com
Tue Jul 24 14:47:35 EDT 2001

http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/200107/msg00317.html

I read this score/post this morning and was disappointed
to read that others witnessed some ugly profanity during
the NAQP contest this past weekend.

However, one important clarification. I was operating NØAC
(at NØNI) when the incident occurred. We had been running
a frequency for quite some time when someone decided that
they would try to intimidate us with some terrible language.
To the best of my knowledge, our op on that rig (relatively
inexperienced at RTTY) did not respond in any way (the old
"ignore them, maybe they'll go away" approach). I do know
that we had two very experienced contesters looking over
his shoulder and that no one on our team used on-air profanity
at our QTH. We ended up avoiding confrontation altogether by
QSYing (from a productive freq).

Certainly, no one was more disappointed than us as here we
were trying to convince a newbie that RTTY contests were
"kinder and gentler"... then this garbage appears. Quite
frustrating.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that as it wasn't really a
"fight" (implying that both parties were participating). I
know that this is probably an old subject on this message
board, but I wanted to point out that a) some experienced
ops on our end were disappointed in what was, in fact, some
ugly language and b) right or wrong, we chose to QSY rather
than reciprocate - after all, we were much more interested
in Qs than fighting.

NØHR

Get Free Internet Access And WebEmail At http://www.address.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com