[CQ-Contest] Why no Packet for SOAB

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Jul 24 19:03:32 EDT 2001

On 7/22/01 3:30 PM, CT1BOH - José Carlos Cardoso Nunes at
ct1boh at mail.telepac.pt wrote:

>Just a simple observation regarding the use of packet  in CQWW Contests.
>
>Winning contests is about turning the highest score.

Remember that statement.

>That is why Packet should not be allowed for SOAB.
>
>But Packet is there. There is nothing we can do about it, so for those
>wanting a less challenging category, or should I be politically correct and
>say different challenge, there is always SOAB Assisted where you are free to
>use it.

Wait, are you saying that packet shouldn't be allowed for SOAB, but for
SOAB Assisted.

Gosh, isn't that what the rules say already?

--

Lets' go back to the first statement, which begins with "Winning".

Packet operation isn't so much about "winning." Look at the assisted
scores and compare them with the unassisted scores. Notice anything? The
assisted scores are rarely "winning" scores.

Most assisted operators are just having fun. IF they operated unassisted,
they would turn in mediocre scores. Packet allows them to turn in
slightly better mediocre scores. These scores aren't that important
individually, but may help their club or team.

Eliminate packet, and you create a situation where some operators may not
operate as much or at all. Lowering contest activity lowers scores for
everyone.

That's why assisted operation has its own category, and should remain so.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com