[CQ-Contest] SO1R v SO2R

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 12:33:59 EDT 2001

< W7TI wrote :

"Single Operator" already has subdivisions: HP/LP, SB/AB.  There is no
logical reason it can't also have 1R/2R.

IMO, 2R guys like to compete against 1R guys because it puts them on
top
of a larger heap and therefore makes their score look that much better.
It's like the playground bully who has acquired a pair of brass knuckles
but still wants to fight everyone, not just other brass knucklers.

Carrying that argument to it's logical conclusion, auto racing should
not have divisions.  After it's only one driver, right?  Indy cars vs
midgets?  All the same, right?

And please guys, no flames about how tired you are of this subject.
Don't want to read it?  Delete it.  There ARE some people who want to
talk about and they should be allowed to.>
Bill, W7TI

  I think Bill makes alot of good points. I see no reason why if they
have a SOA class using packet why you can't have a SO2R class as well.
You gain an advantage having a 2nd radio to tune across the other bands
looking for mults/QSOs just like you gain an advantage using packet to
do the same thing. It's true that SO2R is not for everyone and you need
to have a special skill to do it, as compared to picking off packet
spots off the cluster, but you still have an advantage over a SO using
one radio. I also think there is a need to have a SO1R class to try
to get new blood in the the contesting ranks. A newcomer might be
overwelmed by what they have to do to even be mildly competitive in
a contest ( ie building a multi-tower station with monobanders, SO2R
setup, amps, packet, etc....) and decide to spend their time on some
other activity. (not good ?) More activity makes contests more fun for
all of us....

   Maybe what the contest sponsors should do if have an unlimited
single-op class for all those guys who have $$$$ to spend to
build a station with all their toys ( SO2R boxes , $5000 radios ,
monster antenna farms, allow packet etc...) and let them go against
each other. Then there wouldn't be any arguments about about who has
what advantage over someone else....

 BTW...  Being a BIG Indycar racing fan (my Summertime hobby) I can see
many parallels between Indycar racing and radio contesting. In Indycar
you have CART ,IRL,Indy Lights, and the Formula Atlantic series. The
series each driver participates in depends on his skills but even more
importantly how much sponsorship money ($$$) he can bring to a team. A
big CART team has the best equipment, engineers, and a big sponsor to
be able to have the best of everything. ( I equate this to your typical
big gun station)  On the other hand a Formula Atlantic or Indy Lights
team might get along on a shoestring budget. (little guns?) But that
doesn't mean that all the CART drivers are better than those in the
lower series and when one of those skilled guys in a lower series gets
his big break with one of the good CART teams it's an unbeatable
combination. Sound familiar ???

 Guys like N5TJ and W4AN started out at small stations when they first
started out and then got their big chance to operate at a big station
and look were they are now ??? That's why I argue having different
operating classes in a contest is a good thing.......

                             73's  Jeff  KU8E