[CQ-Contest] SO1R v SO2R

Barkey, Patrick M pbarkey at bsu.edu
Fri Jul 27 15:39:42 EDT 2001

KU8E wrote:

   Maybe what the contest sponsors should do if have an unlimited
single-op class for all those guys who have $$$$ to spend to
build a station with all their toys ( SO2R boxes , $5000 radios ,
monster antenna farms, allow packet etc...) and let them go against
each other. Then there wouldn't be any arguments about about who has
what advantage over someone else....

My response:

I have heard this kind of flawed assertion before.  Namely, that
those who have made a bigger committment to be competitive should
somehow be penned off and made to fight it out only with others
who also have something to show for their efforts.

Most people who have built up big stations know that what is really
needed is committment and dedication, not merely money.  There
are plenty of guys with big stations who have ordinary incomes.
It might have taken them longer to build up to what they have, but
they did it nonetheless.

   - Pat
     N9RV

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com