[CQ-Contest] SO1R v SO2R

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Sun Jul 29 13:27:44 EDT 2001

N5OT wrote:

> A quick look at the SS claimed scores in the archives* (2000CW)
> shows 44 out of 92 SOHP competitors have claimed 2R.  This is 47.8%, most
of
> which are higher up in the standings.  That means 48 were 1R, or 52.2%.
The top 1R
> guy, an op who does not need to prove himself (Randy K5ZD), finished 17th.
>
> This could be a case for a separate category for one-radio guys.

I'm afraid not, Mark. Randy always operates SO2R and I know he did in 2000
SS CW. He must have forgotten to check the box when he submitted his score.
The reason he came in 17th in SS is that it's extremely difficult for an
East Coast station to do much better in SS when there are enough talented
Midwest ops in the race. That's a feature of the contest, not of SO1R vs
SO2R. We have to throw you guys a bone every now and then or you won't play
in the DX contests with us ;-)

While I do believe that SO2R can be an advantage, I can think of at least
one SO1R op who often makes the top ten -- W1WEF.

73, Dick WC1M

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com