[CQ-Contest] SO2R, and a word from Honest Abe

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 29 10:39:50 EDT 2001

Why do people think SO2R is so evil?

Are we about to strengthen the weak by weakening the strong?

A previous correspondent asked whether contesting was a competition of operator skill or of station design. Silly me, I always thought it was a combination of both!

The various categories exist because there are real barriers for some people. Those living in dense urban areas often CANNOT run high power, no matter how much money they can send AlphaPower's way. Right, VE4GV?

So it makes sense to have a low power category.

The tribander/single element class makes sense because of the vast quantities of hams who have trouble getting ONE tower on their lot, never mind multiple towers.

But who, really, given the vast array of inexpensive radios on the market, couldn't, if they really wanted to, put a second radio on the air? It's not rocket science from a station-design standpoint. A few transistors on the back of a DB-9 or DB-25 connector, perhaps a DPDT switch and stereo pot for the audio and you're done.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If you don't want to join 'em, accept your decision.

Here's my prediction of what will happen if we create a separate category for SO2R. Those top-drawer ops who currently operate SO2R will decide if SO2R or SO1R is where the victory means the most. If it's the latter, they'll shut off the second radio and still whup our butts!

The top-level ops aren't winning because of SO2R. They're winning because they're the best ops driving the best stations. PLEASE folks, don't look at that as something to be attacked, defined, and marginalized. Look at it as something to strive towards. Build yourselves up, don't tear others down. A rising tide lifts all boats. The opposite is true for a falling tide.

Funny how those operators at the top who don't operate SO2R (hello K3ZO?) and remain at the top aren't complaining.

73, ve4xt

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com