[CQ-Contest] Contest QSOs: To QSL or not to QSL

John T. Laney, III k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 29 23:17:11 EDT 2001

I am, for everyone I answer QSLs for (K4BAI, W4AN, K4AAA, KM9P, 8P9Z,
8P9HT, 8P9HR, etc.) still responding to all QSLs received, whether or
not they check PSE.  I think most guys want a return card and it makes
very little difference in the bureau expense to print a label and
include it in the box.  I agree that people should not request QSLs for
bands/modes that they already have confirmed, but many still do this.
Maybe they are too busy or lazy.  Sometimes, I even get QSLs for both
QSOs when someone has made a duplicate QSO in a contest.  I answer those
too, but I think everyone would be justified in not sending a reply for
the duplicate QSO in those circumstances.  I assume the sender sent a
QSL for both QSOs, thinking that one of them might be bad and hoping for
only one reply per band/mode at least for the same contest.

We never know if the requester is working on some award with a new start
date that would require a new QSL that would seem to be a duplicate to
us.  Also, after one has been doing this for many years, sometimes QSLs
are sent just in order to have a card from the same op 45 or 50 years
later.

I never want anyone to be unhappy with me or anyone I answer cards for
because cards weren't answered.

I get pleasure out of answering QSLs and don't have any threshold
requirements for a QSL except that one be sent to me by some method.

73,

John, K4BAI.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com