[CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Sun Jul 29 23:18:22 EDT 2001

I would enjoy competing on a completely level playing field once in a while,
if that were truly possible. Unfortunately, in your example it's not
possible:

1 & 2: If I use an FT-1000D and you use an ICOM 751, I'm going to beat you.
Unless everyone uses the same exact radio, it won't be fair. I have an
advantage if I use a Heil Pro Set and you use a pair of hi-fi headphones and
a hand mic. If I use Writelog and you manually log, you're toast. If my
electronic keyer has more features than yours, I make more QSOs. My Bencher
paddle will beat your straight key.

3 & 4: Are we supposed to use manufacturer's specs to determine antenna
gain? It's virtually impossible to compare gain figures from one
manufacturer to another. What about antennas that have better F/B or better
bandwidth? A "10 dBi" antenna on one of my 50' portable towers is going to
lose to a 10 dBi antenna on a 100' tower. If our towers are more than 100'
feet from the shack, and I use hardline and you use RG-213, I'm going to
beat you on 10M. What about terrain? NT1N is going to beat many other
stations from his obstructed CT hilltop. What about location? In any DX
contest, the East Coasters are going to maul the rest of the country.

You can't level the playing field in contesting as if it were duplicate
bridge. The best we can do is define "roughly equal" categories. WRTC
assigns a limited number of participants to radio stations that are judged
to be roughly equal in all respects. But you can't do that in a wide-open
contest where people operate from home. There are just too many ways to gain
subtle but definitive advantages with equipment and antennas. That's why the
best measure will always be the number of operators.

Even if we could create a "WRTC" category as you suggest, it makes no sense
to lump everyone else into an "Unlimited" category. How in the world could a
single op beat a multi? Nobody would want to participate in this category
except monster multis.

Though I would like to try my hand at a WRTC-style contest, I wouldn't like
it as a steady diet. Part of what I enjoy is tweaking my station to squeeze
out more QSOs. It's very gratifying to buy a used, beat-up old tribander and
fix it SE on a tree for a few more mults or a quick switch to work a
Carribean station. Experimenting with making communications more and more
effective is a big part of Amateur radio, so I think the practice is very
appropriate in contesting. And it's not mutually exclusive with the
development of greater levels of skill. I'm convinced that will always be
the best way to improve my score.

73, Dick WC1M

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com