[CQ-Contest] Contest QSOs: To QSL or not to QSL

Rob Kaufmann rkaufman at home.com
Mon Jul 30 04:53:41 EDT 2001

>> First off, kudos to Rob, VE4GV, who auto-QSLed for
>> the 2000 SSB Sweepstakes, but noted in large print
>> at the bottom of the card:
>
>>  "PLEASE SAVE A TREE -- NO RETURN QSL REQUIRED"
>

>That's nice.  But, Rob, why are you sending QSL's without wanting a
>response?

Dale, at the ripe old age of 45, I'm several years past QCWA and I have
quite enough domestic QSL cards.  I still occasionally chase DX but I'm not
working US counties (yet!). So, you see I don't really need em.  I was
talking to the VE4 Buro manager the other day and he says he makes 3 piles
at the VE4 buro... one for VE4VV, one for VE4GV and one for the rest. That's
no joke. I'd like to give him less work if possible. After all, he's a
volunteer.

>What's the purpose of sending your card to ops you've worked?  Is
>it to give a tangible 'thanks' to them for the Q?

Absolutely.  If it wasn't for the casual op who gets into SS and works a few
stations, the popularity of the contest would be waning. That isn't the case
and I think it is because of the uniqueness of the test, the ability to do
well with a modest station with less emphasis on high power and the need for
fewer Q's on the low bands to be competitive. (At least that's how it works
at my QTH.)

The whole reason for this method of QSLing is to thank the station for
contributing to my score and to the overall enjoyment of all stations in the
test.  It allows me the opportunity to say "Thanks for taking the time to
gove me the points", "Look what you helped me do" , "you were a part of
that" and "won't you please continue to support SS".
Bragging? Yeah, perhaps a little of that too, to be honest. SS is my
favorite test and I think that if making a unique QSL like that can convince
someone else to turn on the rig for a few Qs, then the few extra bucks
making/sending the cards is worth it.

> Is it to put your call/card in their mind the next time they hear you in a
contest so that
>they will be more apt then to try to work you?

You bet.  I also have to distinguish myself from my VE4 competitor VE4VV,
who is no slouch, believe me !!  (Thank goodness he prefers CW to phone.)
Having a picture (and a unique card) puts a face to a call and I think that
people are more apt to work you when they "know" you, even if it is by QSL.
I try to make Dayton every few years for that reason too. I rarely work DX
tests but I never fail to get a "SS Sweep thank you" in the Crown Plaza
elevator when someone recognizes my call.

One of these days I'd also like to be able to break Chip K7JA's record for
SS Phone wins (combined HP and LP). (I believe it was 7 at last count.) I
think the cards may help.

>If you sent me a card, wouldn't it pretty much be a waste of your
resources?
>After all, I work or try to work everyone I hear.  I don't need a card from
>someone to influence whether I'm going to work them or not.

QSLing that way can be a bit expensive. That's true. I probably spent the
equivalent of $150 US to get 2200 custom printed B&W 2 sided. Fortunately I
had enough old IRCs lying around for the postage to the various state buros.
(I prefer to do that rather than go through the RAC buro.)I'm not trying to
influence the die hard contesters (they'll work me anyway just for the
sweep).  I'm trying to convince the casual op to work me and get involved in
the test. Its all about promoting SS ! That's also why I donated a SS
"Rookie of the Year" Plaque for Phone and CW a few years back.

>hmmm....maybe it's time for a third box on the card: No QSL (or something
like that).
Yes, I think that is appropriate.  If you send a card and you don't need a
return QSL you should indicate that.

>If someone is auto-QSL'ing, shouldn't whatever software the person is using
>be tracking whether a QSL for that band/mode has been sent and one
received?
Yes. But I'll be the first one to say that after almost 15 years of computer
logging, I have yet to integrate all my Q's into one big database. I do make
a particular effort in SS because of it being my favorite test but don't be
surprised if you recieve one again next year. What's the worst thing that
happens?.. you recycle it or you can use it to clean the dust out of the
hard to reach nooks and crannies of the front of your rig !!

Only 4 months to go to SS !!

73,

Rob VE4GV

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com