[CQ-Contest] Contest QSOs: To QSL or not to QSL

Dale L Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Sun Jul 29 17:53:15 EDT 2001

> First off, kudos to Rob, VE4GV, who auto-QSLed for
> the 2000 SSB Sweepstakes, but noted in large print
> at the bottom of the card:
>
>   "PLEASE SAVE A TREE -- NO RETURN QSL REQUIRED"

That's nice.  But, Rob, why are you sending QSL's without wanting a
response?  What's the purpose of sending your card to ops you've worked?  Is
it to give a tangible 'thanks' to them for the Q?  Is it to put your
call/card in their mind the next time they hear you in a contest so that
they will be more apt then to try to work you?

If you sent me a card, wouldn't it pretty much be a waste of your resources?
After all, I work or try to work everyone I hear.  I don't need a card from
someone to influence whether I'm going to work them or not.

I need elucidation!

> But, my question concerns an increasing percentage
> of contest QSLs I receive that do not request a
> return QSL, but neither do they specify that it's
> not required.

My thought would be that they don't want a card.  There are two boxes on my
cards: Pls QSL and Tnx QSL.  If I check neither, I'm not looking for a card
in return.  If the op wants to send one anyway, that's fine.

hmmm....maybe it's time for a third box on the card: No QSL (or something
like that).

If someone is auto-QSL'ing, shouldn't whatever software the person is using
be tracking whether a QSL for that band/mode has been sent and one received?
After all, after the first card (and a reply card was received), would all
others for that band/mode be junk mail?

Maybe I don't understand auto-qsl'ing.

73,
dale, kg5u