[CQ-Contest] SO2 etc

Martin Luther luther at mail.mdt.net.au
Mon Jul 30 05:59:01 EDT 2001

Enough! Enough!

W7TI says

>>> If all a person wants to do is maximize their score, then SO2R is the
>>> way to go.  Think of all you don't have to worry about:

>>> 1.  No band strategy.  You're monitoring all of them all the time.
>>> 2.  No knowledge of propagation.  When a band opens, you're there.
>>> 3.  No decision whether to CQ or S&P.  You are doing both.
>>> 4.  No real radio smarts required.  Only manual dexterity.

>>> A CB'ers paradise.  (Ok, cheap shot, but some truth therein).

>>> Bill, W7TI

This shows such amazing ignorance of the contesting art that I surprised
anyone would so publicly declare it and expect to be taken seriously.

The attribution of various nefarious motives to those who do SO2 is well
below the standards that should be expected from one ham to another.

We do not need a special category for SO2. It already exists it is called
single operator all band! If you want a limited category for single TX then
campaign for that.

It has been said before but needs repeating. The two major categories of
single op all band and multi multi are the "open" categories of our
competition. We all endeavour to do our best amongst the very best. I love
that  even though with SO4R I will never win from where I am. If you want to
be the top in a smaller puddle then try to get a category for that but leave
the two major "open" categories out of your politics.

Martin VK5GN

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com