[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Jul 31 08:09:07 EDT 2001

N2MG commented about my suggestion to check log checking:

>Even though any score adjustment would be minimal (and likely not even
>attempted), I would think the sponsors would want to know what QSOs their
>software dinged by mistake.
>
>I'm convinced they strive to "do the right thing".  Any fundamental
>weakness in their software that is fixable, they'll fix.

I'll have to admit that W8JI's original post brought back memories of bad
calls that were anything but that - like a JA who I later worked on 6m & got
a QSL from, or a retired colleague who shows up out of nowhere after
several years to give me a Q.

As soon as the log checking results for a contest are available, I go through
it because - just like my operating - the checking can't be perfect.  I don't
like taking a penalty for a perfectly valid Q & I know that the checkers are as
keen to improve their checking as their checking focuses me to improve my
operating accuracy in the first place.

I would encourage everybody to look at the results of checking of their logs
& to bring up what doesn't look right.  At the end of the day, it will help all
of us.

73, VR2BrettGraham

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com