[CQ-Contest] ISP for world use

Marty Tippin martyt at pobox.com
Tue Jul 31 14:25:58 EDT 2001

--- Barry Merrill <barry at mxg.com> wrote:
> 2. If you have your email at a real POP3/SMTP site,
>    (as opposed inside AOL and similar buffer services),
>    you can dial into any ISP to retrieve your email from
>    your home-ISPs POP3 address

Don't count on this working unless you've *tested* it from some ISP other than
your home ISP prior to departure. Many ISPs restrict POP3 access to machines
that are within the same domain (i.e. connected to the ISP) -- in particular,
many broadband providers (cable, satellite, maybe DSL) are configured this way.
It's a nice safety measure to prevent unauthorized people from accessing your
e-mail, but it's also inconvenient in this case.

My advice would be to get a free web-based e-mail address (yahoo.com,
hotmail.com, whatever) and use it as your primary e-mail address. Yahoo allows
POP3 access so you can pull your e-mail directly into your client application -
hotmail probably allows the same thing.)

With a web-based account, if you can find an internet connection (internet
cafe, library, local ISP, whatever), you're in business.

-Marty NW0L
 martyt at pobox.com
 (an alias that forwards to both my Yahoo! account and my cable modem ISP account...)