[CQ-Contest] Dinged Good QSOs

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at kkn.net
Tue Jul 31 15:02:40 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 05:28:21PM +0000, Ed wrote:

> Tree N6TR wrote:
> For example, I recently had feedback that a QSO was NIL in a single
> band
> 10 meter log because the other station logged the QSO on 15 meters.
> While it is pretty obvious what happened and where the fault lies,
> there is no way for the log checking program to know all of the facts
> and be able to "do the right thing".  In this case, both parties will
> lose credit for the QSO.
>
> Tree
> ----------
>
> I believe this is the sort of thing which is creating  controversy.
> It's pretty obvious the 15 meter log entrant made the error, and
> common sense as you point out should rule here. But to penalize the 10
> meter log is just not right. And I don't think that much of software
> which can't distinguish a single band log.

No - both parties need to lose the QSO.

This is not a software issue.  It is a log checking issue.

If you get two logs - and the bands do not match up on a QSO
how do you tell whom made the error?

In Tree's example you could assume that the single band entry
is in the right but, how do you know?  You don't.

What if they were both multi band logs - who would lose the QSO?

I have lost QSOs like this before - I have no problem wiht this - as
long as all the logs are checked using the same rule set.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com