[CQ-Contest] Ending a Contest QSO on Phone

Marty Tippin martyt at pobox.com
Tue Jul 31 15:16:18 EDT 2001

--- Nat Heatwole <heatwole at clark.net> wrote:
> I've been thinking a lot about this topic lately and I thought that I would
> get some opinions from the reflector. Assuming that you wish to confirm the
> QSO you just made (via. 73, QSL, thanks, etc.) and you wish to sign your
> call and go QRZ do any of the following generally work better than the
> others when the rate is high on phone? What about when the rate's low?

If it's your run frequency, a simple "QSL. QRZ?" is more than adequate when the
rate is high. Everybody waiting to work you knows your callsign and you just
annoy them by repeating it on every QSO. Don't go to the opposite extreme,
however, and *never* give your callsign. Plenty of DX does that and it's more
annoying trying to figure out for 5 mintues who the station is than listening
to the callsign on every QSO.

Unless you're a big-gun, you'll probably never have a pileup to work which is
so big that it's going to make any significant difference how you end the QSO.
At most you might work 4 or 5 stations in quick succession before there's a
lull and you have to return to calling CQ.

So I really wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to analyze it to death. Just
record something that's passable in the digital voice keyer and use it.

My personal preference is to not give my call between QSOs when I know there
are several stations waiting to work me, but to include it when the rate is
slow, just in case someone tuned onto the frequency in mid-QSO. Seems to work
for me.

73,

-Marty NW0L
 martyt at pobox.com