[CQ-Contest] WRTC & PED

Tom HammondNØSS n0ss at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 12:50:06 EDT 2001

I try to keep my mouth shut most of the time, but...

As one of those who makes a number of CW Pileups each year (Dayton/KCDX,
W9DXCC, WWARA,  WRTC 2000, and several others), I wish to add only one
comment...

Someone commented that as a contester, he'd seldom had a large number of
stations calling him at one time. For a stateside station, I can understand
this. However having been on the 'other' end, I can attest that it's not at
all unusual to have a BUNCH of stations all calling you at one time.

One test of a good operator is not only his/her ability to pick one station
out of many, but to ACCURATELY pick one station out of a FEW!!! And on the
first call... not after repeated attempts. The operator who can pick out a
station on the FIRST PASS is the one who will stand a greater chance of
making the higher Q rate.

Unless specifically requested to do so, I ALWAYS create my pileups to
include no more than two (2) stations calling at the same time... of
course, a bit of QRN is added to enhance the 'challenge'. But, even with
only two tracks of calls being sent, such pileups (I feel) are a pretty
decent test of the operator's ability to accurately catch calls on the
first pass.

That's all.

Tom Hammond   N0SS

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com