[CQ-Contest] I can feel the heat! Fwoosh!

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy at iol.it
Sat Mar 31 13:47:38 EST 2001

Hi Yuri,

do You know 40 dB is 10000 times the power ?
Assuming the 40 dB over an average signal produced by best 1500 W stations
that are those using also best antenna systems while the IG9 was a "field
day style" station, the simple calculation of  1500x10000= 15 MW  (Megawatt)
is not enough.
A prudential loss because of poorer ERP with a "field day style antenna
farm" say that some other 3 dB are required to recover the gap and the
effective power goes to 30 MW.
Since power amplifiers have an overall efficiency that's hardly better than
60%, the input power of a 30 MW station is about 60 MW, a number that's
"Giga times" out of what is reasonable and available.
If you don't believe in propagation, focusing, wrong S-meter indication it's
better you go to police all the loud signal.
Please report us if you find 30 MW PAs or cut and try optimized VE3BU razor
beams, antennas that are known consistently beat a 6 el. KLM by about 10 dB
in real life tests or have a 30 dB gain over a dipole as someone else
calculated under your claims.

73,
Mauri I4JMY