[CQ-Contest] USA Selection Observations

Bill Fisher W4AN w4an at contesting.com
Tue May 1 21:53:15 EDT 2001

To whom it may concern:

Couple of suggestions & observations regarding the USA selection process:

You split the USA in two halves.  East and west.  You seem to have done
this by geography rather than population.  I think you will find that most
of the operators will also be with most of the population.  This would be
similar to giving Russia 8 of 10 possible Asia slots because Asiatic
Russia is so much bigger than the other countries in Asia.  I hope you
will consider changing your division based on population and not
geography.  A better split would be...

East:  1, 2, 3, and 4
West:  8, 9, 5, 7, 6, 0, KL7, and KH6

I have not checked, but I would bet dollars to donuts that this would be
closer to the population distribution in the USA.  It is also the case
that there are more active contesters in the eastern USA than the west.

----

You mention on your selection page that each club will have 10 picks for
captains.  It would not make sense to waste picks on people who are
incapable or who are not interested in attending the event.  I suggest
that those who are interested and capable of going submit their callsigns
so that picks are not wasted.  Maybe this is planned and I missed it?

----

I hope the "most successful" contest clubs have the good sense to confer
with each during the selection process.  It doesn't seem to make much
sense that the FRC could be choosing the best contesters from
California.  This seems a little akin to a weight lifter judging a
gymnastics creative dance routine.  The choices could end up being more
about popularity and visibility than ability.

----

Thank you for taking on such a huge event.  Based on the enthusiasm I have
observed from Finnish hams, I'm sure this will be one to
remember.  Hopefully life will be calm enough for me to attend in some
capacity.

73

Bill Fisher, W4AN

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

>From K0HB at qwest.net" <K0HB at qwest.net  Wed May  2 02:32:48 2001
 > Hopefully life will be calm enough for me to attend in some
 > capacity.

Me too.

Is that a nomination?

73, Hans, K0HB