[CQ-Contest] Alpha 76 or 374 3 hole as contest amps?

N2TK n2tk at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 07:38:52 EDT 2001

I had both a 76 and 78 for years. Both had 3 tubes. The 76 easily put out
legal limit on all bands, in a contest environment. The 78 had full legal
output on all bands but 10m. It seems because of the way the tuning is set
up you could get only about 1200 w out on 10m. Sold my 78 last year after
using it for 17 years of use with the original tubes. I had a spares set of
new tubes, but after all those years of service there was only about 200 w
difference between the old and new tubes. You have to watch the grid
current. I always kept the grid current low (half scale or less). Didn't pay
much attention to the plate current. QSK worked great in 78. By the way, the
78 doesn't work on 12m unless you modify the plate choke.
Tony