[CQ-Contest] Advice on CW/contest rig for $1000-$2000?

Dennis Vernacchia n6ki at juno.com
Tue May 8 00:18:07 EDT 2001

Zoli,

	Only bad thing I recall about the FT-990 is it does not have
SSB Audio Monitor to listen and make sure you have a clean signal
leaving the shack, also important if you contest with a Digital Voice
Keyer
if you want to make sure your outgoing audio OK....This is reason I
passed
on owning a 990 and bought an Kenwood TS-850 instead....a real workhorse
radio

73,

Dennis Vernacchia N6KI

On Sun, 6 May 2001 22:23:28 +0200 "Zoli Pitman HA1AG"
<ha1ag at compuserve.com> writes:

 >Hi Jorge et al,
 >

 >If I were you I would go for an FT-990. These days they go for about
 >900-1100 USD. For your target you can even take two. ;-)  I don't know
 >why
 >but this rig never seemed to be very popular in the US but in EU it's
 >still
 >being looked for.
 >
 >1, The FT-990 is a well-designed rock-solid workhorse rig. It's made
 >of
 >widely available components so if you ever have trouble with it it can
 >be
 >repaired locally and cheaply.
 >
 >2, If you put some good CW filters with it, it's not worse than any of
 >the
 >listed RX's.
 >
 >3, CAT is included and all software supports it. (The 930 has no
 >computer
 >control as I know)
 >
 >4, It's a perfect combination of pragmatic simplicity and performance.
 >
 >I use one since 1993 and think that is the ideal second radio of SO2R
 >(main
 >rig is an MP).
 >
 >73 de Zoli HA1AG
 >

 >  >
 > > I made the same question to some well known contesters and the
 >suggestion
 > > was to go to a used one of the following transceivers:
 > >
 > >      1.-    IC765
 > >      2.-    TS930
 > >      3.-    TS850
 > >
 > >      73,