[CQ-Contest] USA WRTC 2002 Team Selections

Tree N6TR tree at kkn.net
Tue May 15 13:08:59 EDT 2001

I think K3EST was quoted before announcing the USA team selection
criteria for WRTC-1996 as predicting that "nobody is going to
like whatever I come up with".

It is pretty obvious to me that not everyone has the same vision for
the WRTC event.  As long as this is true, there will be spirited
discussions about changing the selection process.

While I think making the top ten in the WRTC probably means you are
a pretty good operator - I would also offer that NOT making the top
twenty is pretty meaningless.  Imagine a car race where half of the
cars went 20 kPH faster than all of the other cars.  Are the guys
who got stuck with the slower cars worse operators?

The WRTC is not capable of living up to the "finding out who is the
best".  If this is your expectation, then I am afraid you will never
be happy with the outcome (unless you are the winner).

The WRTC is a wonderful opportunity to meet some of the operators
around the world who enjoy this sport.  The operating activity
associated with it adds to the fun.  There are those who will feel
the need to keep coming back (as an opeartor) and try to win.  I
just hope they don't feel their trip was wasted if they get one of
those cars that goes slower.

It could be argued that the only statistic that the operators really
have control over is their error rate as that has very little to
do with the quality of the station.  I hope that this statistic
will at least be mentioned.

73 Tree N6TR

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com