[CQ-Contest] Re Alphabet

Tim Makins, EI8IC ei8ic at eircom.net
Fri Nov 2 07:28:16 EST 2001

Hi Wilf - the problem seems to be that one phonetic alphabet just does not
work with all languages and accents, as amateur practice has born out. The
ICAO came up with a an alphabet that works as well as can be expected from
one alphabet, but leaves many uncertainties, especially during weak signal
conditions, contest tiredness etc. I don't think any one word, if spoken by
members of many nationalities, will either sound the same or be understood
as having the same meaning. Hopefully, a list of alternatives will go some
way to solving this problem.

73s Tim EI8IC